Key Message Points
Problem: Burning energy to move 2-ton vehicles to move a person in congested cities costs Americans $2.76 trillion/year. This waste is the root cause of urban traffic congestion, Climate Change, oil-wars, and rising gas prices.
- Clever Uber YouTube of how foolish it is to design urban transportation around moving people in 2-ton boxes.
- It is safer and faster to driving on freeways than secondary roads. JPods® networks build their own grade-separated guideways.
- People and cargo travel suspended from JPods' overhead guideways in ultra-light self-driving pods.
- Solar panels mounted over the guideway structures to gather 100% of the energy needed to power the system.
- Result: Urban traffic costs are cut by 90% to provide on-demand mobility regardless of age, ability, or wealth. Detailed list of 10X benefits follows.
10X Benefits (add details and links):
- 3,000X fewer injuries:
- Using the JPods' preferred standards of ASTM F24 the injuries per million is 3.7
- Road have 11,200 injuries per million with 4 times the death rate for bike riders as some European countries with similar economies (link)
- 10X lower operating costs (see graph above, link)
- 10X lower capital costs (link)
- JPods costs are $20 million per mile.
- Light rail in the US average $202 million per mile.
- 10X less land use (link)
- Per car there are 3.4-8 parking spaces and 168 feet of road 12’ wide. The land area for one car supports 75 JPods, 3 miles of JPods guideways, and 12 megaWatt-hours/day of energy collection.
- 10X greater capacity (link). Data is provided in seat per hour for uniformity of comparison. JPods and cars only move when there are people to move.
- JPods are on-demand, 24x7 service with .5 second headways can carry 28,000 seats per hour. This is radically greater capacity than cars, buses, or trains.
- JPods are on-demand, 24x7 service with the 3 second headways ("3-second rule require 186 feet of road between cars). So a lane of freeways can carry 4,800 seats per hour.
- Mass transit capacity is set by 3 factors:
- Size of the packet (50 per bus to 1,000 per train)
- Time between service.
- Hours of operation (generally low at night).
- Buses moving with 5 minutes between buses with 50 seats move 600 seats per hour.
- Trains carrying 1,000 people traveling 10 minutes between train carry 6,000 seats per hour.
- 10X energy security:
- Solar-power preempts oil-wars and oil-dollar funded terrorism. Cost of the War on Terror is estimated at $8 trillion (link).
- 10X few linear barriers to commerce (link)
- 10X less traffic congestion:
- When demand exceeds the capacity of a JPods Network additional low-cost guideways and stations can be added.
- Road congestion costs are estimated at $305 billion/year (link).
- 10X more equitable:
- US Transportation Secretary Foxx: “In the first 20 years of the federal interstate system alone highway construction displaced 475,000 families and over a million Americans. Most of them were low-income people of color in urban cores. (link)
- 10X cleaner:
Better than cars
- No safety risks to walking/biking
- Quicker, your trip is non-stop
- No wasting time at traffic lights
- No congestion
- No car insurance payment
- No buying gasoline
- No car payment
- No parking
- No pollution
Better than mass transit
- No time wasted in stations/bus stops
- No queuing, JPods are on-demand
- No transfers, JPods take you non-stop from origin to destination
- No fear of riding with strangers
- No COVID or flu contagion amplification (link to MIT and London Tube studies)
- No pollution, electrically powered mass transit burns coal/CH4 remotely
- No shutting down businesses during construction
- 13,000 job-years per 80 miles of networks built (link)
- Just-in-Time cargo deliveries to neighborhood stores reduces cost to mitigate food deserts